Yesterday, Sunday was my 35th Birthday. It was all going great until about 3.00 yesterday. I had decided to go to the grocery store with 2 of my girls and Eli. As we were driving down the road I saw Eli choking in the back. I started yelling for my oldest daughter Faith to help him. She tried to finger swipe him, but nothing would help. I then pulled into an apartment complex parking lot. As I opened the door and blocked traffic I pulled Eli to the ground and began finger swiping him to. That didn't work so I then did the Heimlich on him. He was so blue that I was just screaming. Other people came running to help as they called an ambulance. Eli finally started breathing, but he was spitting up blood and kept choking every 2 minutes. When we arrived at the hospital they did an x-ray of him very fast. They could not find anything, but knew something was there because he was not getting enough oxygen to him, he was faint and still a blueish color. Then a lot of doctors came in saying that they were taking him to the O.R. Then I just lost it. Alot of people from my church were already there holding me, comforting me. I was so scared. So many crazy thoughts went through my head. I wasn't ready to give him up yet, I would not give up without a fight. When they finally came back an hour later they showed us the ugly little piece of plastic wrapping paper they found way down in his esophagus. It was so small that it was probably the size of an eraser top. It had blocked his airway. While they were scoping him they found a lot of blood in his tummy so they would not let him go home. I was afraid, but relieved that he was OK at this moment.
Today they released Eli. They think the blood was from the plastic scratching his throat. I brought my sweet baby boy home and just loved on him. Its amazing the things that they can choke on. We came home and did a clean sweep of our entire home. Last Christmas a dear friend of my husband had a friend that had a neighbor that had a little girl about 2. She put a screw in her mouth and swallowed it. This little girl died Christmas day on the way to the hospital. Can you imagine how traumatizing??? That's all I could think of last night. You feel so bad that you didn't protect them from such small silly things. I still don't know where he got it in his car seat in the back of the car, but he did. All I know is that so many people prayed last night for my baby boy and God heard all their prayers, he is ok, and he is resting today and back to trying to bust out of his playroom. Thanks everyone for praying for my baby boy.